For reasons unknown I am extremely addicted to aubergines. I love eating them all kinds of ways, but this recipe has to be one of my favs. Super quick and easy...great as a side dish, as part of an Italian style antipasto (hot or cold) or even in a salad. And its even tastier the next day...
Grilled Aubergine with Herb Drizzle
- 8 baby or 3 large Aubergines
- 3 cloves of garlic
- ¼ onion (white is fine but red is even better)
- large handful each of parsley, rosemary, thyme, sage (feel free to add others like basil or oregano)
- 6 Tbsp olive oil (for the drizzle)
- a little extra olive oil for frying the aubergine
*Tip: If you are using the larger varieties of aubergine remember to salt them before frying them otherwise they will be very bitter and not as yummy. To salt: slice the aubergines, place in a bowl and sprinkle liberally with salt, allow to sit for a while so they begin to release liquid, rinse and drain. Pat dry before frying.
1) Start by slicing your aubergines into disks (salt if necessary). Now prepare the herb drizzle.
2) Finely chop all your herbs, garlic and onion all together. Place in a bowl and cover with the 6 Tbsp of olive oil. Allow to stand...
3) Grill your aubergine disks in batches (I do no more than 10 disks at a time) using a non-stick pan over a medium to high heat.
4) As each batch is done, layout the grilled slices on a plate and drizzle with the herb mixture. Continue to grill and layer the slices, drizzling the mixture over every layer until all your disks are cooked.
And its as easy as that. Trust me its so easy you won't believe it tastes so good.