Isn't there something wonderful about the idea of ricotta and lemon together. I have always wanted to make Italian ricotta cake and thought what could be more perfect than a mini version. These little golden cups are deliciously dense and the icing makes them tangy lemony fresh...great with a cappuccino at brunch time.
Lemon Ricotta Cupcakes
- ⅔ cup ricotta cheese
- 2 large unwaxed lemons - zest and juice
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 pack vanilla cupcake mix - yields 12 (I bought the Woolworths version)
- 2 eggs
- 140ml milk
- 150g butter
(If you use a cupcake mix other than the Woolworths one be sure to substitute the egg, milk and butter quantities to suit those specified on your mix instructions)
1) Preheat oven to 160ºC (or as specified by your mix packaging) and line your cupcake tray with cupcake liners
2) Mix cupcake mix as directed on the packaging
3) Once the mix is smooth and thoroughly combined add the zest and juice of one lemon
4) Now add the ricotta and mix well (small speckled lumps of ricotta are ok)
5) Fill the "cups" evenly with your cupcake batter
6) Bake for 25mins (or as directed). Best practice is to poke one of the cupcakes with a skewer and remove, if it comes out clean the little beauties are done. Mine baked for 40mins in the end.
7) Allow to cool whilst you prepare the icing
8) In a bowl mix the icing sugar with the zest and juice of one lemon. Mix till you get a glossy smooth icing with a slightly runny ribbony consistency. Feel free to add a dash of water if your lemon isn't juicy enough.
9) Spoon icing over the top of the cooled cupcakes. Rather do a little at a time and come back and do more as the icing will run.
Now brew a cuppa and enjoy! Trust me they are somewhat hard to resist so invite some friends so you don't feel the urge to eat all 12 in one sitting...