As its the holidays what better time to bake a cake that looks like it has a snowcap. It might not snow here in the Cape but I love the image of snowcaps on everything. This cake is deliciously moist and the meringue topping is a fluffy less sweet alternative to frosting.
Chocolate Cake with Meringue Topping
For the cake:
- 1 cup self raising flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup hot coffee
- 1 egg
For the topping:
- 2 egg whites
- 100g sugar
1) Preheat your oven to 180°C. Line a 23cm spring form cake tin with wax paper.
2) Start by sifting all the dry ingredients together into a bowl.
3) Add the egg, oil and milk and mix for 2 mins (either in a stand mixer or with an electric beater). Now add the coffee and mix till combined.
4) Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin and bake for 30-45mins. Check to see if it is done by sticking a skewer in it, if the skewer comes out clean its ready.
5) Remove your cake from the tin and allow to cool on a wire rack.
6) Once your cake is cooled prepare your topping. Whisk the two egg whites in a bowl till it reaches the soft peak stage, now slowly add the sugar while you continue whisking. Once the egg whites reach the stiff peak stage it is ready. The mix should be glossy and white.
7) Scoop the meringue onto your cake. Place the topped cake under your oven's grill for 2-3mins until slightly golden or use a chef's blowtorch to golden the top. Watch it really careful as it burns very easily.
Enjoy the cake right after you have toasted the meringue with a nice strong coffee.