Tuesday, 4 June 2013

DIY: Terrarium

Recently my aunt moved to the UK and decided to give me her beautiful but HUGE rose vase. I love it but it requires a massive amount of flowers to look even remotely full. So I decided to use it for something a little more permanent...a terrarium. I have always wanted to make one especially because we live in an apartment, its like having a mini garden indoors.


Here is what you will need:

- large glass vase (make sure you can easily fit your hand through the opening)
- ferns
- small leafed ground covering plant (I chose peace in the home)
- potting soil
- washed river sand
- small pebbles
- decorative stones or crystals (I chose rough cut rose quartz)


Step 1: Rinse your vase and all your pebbles with fresh water. Allow to air dry.


Step 2: Start with a layer of pebbles at the bottom.

Step 3: Now add a layer of the river sand. The river sand helps with drainage as the vase does not have holes at the bottom.

Step 4: Add another layer of pebbles. If you would like to be a little more decorative you could place a ring of decorative crystals or stones around the perimeter of the vase and then fill in the center using the cheaper pebbles. This is what I did with my second layer of stones.

Step 5: Add a layer of potting soil. Ensure that this layer is deep enough to accommodate the roots of your plants.

Step 6: Plant it up. Make sure that you have enough space for your plants to grow. In my case because the vase is not as big as I thought I have planted the ferns in such a manner that they will eventually grow out of the top. This is also the time to add some decorative stones or figurines.


And thats it. To water your terrarium use a spay bottle or an eyedropper. Remember to water little amounts at a time as too much water will cause condensation and rot.

Enjoy making your own touch of green for your home.

XS

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...